Twitter is one of the “older” social networks. Still, I often have the impression, that especially with young entrepreneurs and small businesses, Twitter is also one of the most undervalued networks. The important Twitter facts seem to elude the average entrepreneur and blogger.
Somehow it seems that the benefits of being active on Twitter are not overly obvious. And regardless of the ease of use, how to best use Twitter, build relationships and grow an audience on Twitter still seems to be a secret to many small business marketers.
The following Twitter facts and statistics should give you an impression that even while Twitter may not be the shiniest or most distinguished social network, it has a relevant place in the social media marketing sphere – and not being active on Twitter still means missing out for most businesses.
If you are missing some Twitter facts in the following list that you would like me to add – please do not hesitate to comment.
Before you read on - we have various resources that show you exactly how to use social networks to gain massive traffic and leads. For instance, check out the following:FREE Step-by-Step Twitter Marketing Guide
FREE Pinterest Marketing Ebook
1. Twitter was created in 2006
The first tweet was sent by Jack Dorsey on March 21, 2006
2. Hashtags were introduced in 2007
Chris Messina suggested the use of ‚#’ in 2007
Today, tweets with hashtags clearly get more engagement than tweets without hashtags. One or two hashtags are optimum, while more than two hashtags can result in a drop in engagement.
Image Source: Buffer Blog
The most tweeted hashtag up until today is #FF (Follow Friday). If you are looking for the most relevant hashtags for your niche, start with a keyword research.
3. Twitter has 313 Million monthly active users In Q2 2016 3 Million new users registered with Twitter, bringing the total of monthly active users to 313 Million.
Hey, before you read on - we have in various FREE in-depth guides on similar topics that you can download. For this post, check out:FREE workbook: CREATE AWESOME BLOG POSTS
FREE Beginner's Guide: START A BLOG
Source: Venture Beat
3. Twitter has more than 336 Million monthly active users (1. Quarter 2018)
In Q1 2018 6 Million new users registered with Twitter, bringing the total of monthly active users to 336 Million.
4. 500 Million visit Twitter monthly but do not log in
You do not have to log into Twitter to see the shared content and tweets. And a lot of people do not log in, in fact on average 500 Million people us Twitter but do not log in.
Source: Twitter Blog
5. The average Twitter account has
208 707 followers
… and is a woman with an iPhone…
Image Source: Yourescapefrom9to5
As of June 2016 the average Twitter user has 707 Twitter followers.
The Twitter accounts with the most followers are Katy Perry with over 93 Million followers, followed by Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, and Barack Obama.
Image Source: Twitter Counter
6. In Q2 2016 Twitter made 602$ in revenues
Revenues increased from 595$ in the first quarter of 2016 to 602$ in the second quarter of 2016.
Source: Venture Beat
7. 29,2% of US social media users are Twitter users
That makes for 66 million Twitter users in the US.
8. 82% of Twitter users are mobile
A majority of Twitter users access Twitter via a mobile device!
9. Twitter has 3860 employees (worldwide)
40% of these employees are working in a technical role.
10. Twitter supports over 40 languages
Twitter has over 35 offices worldwide.
11. 83% of world’s leaders are on Twitter
That is 139 world leaders from 167 countries had an account on Twitter that they either set up themselves or a government official did it for them.
12. 500 Mio tweets are sent every day.
That is an insane 6000 tweets every second.
During the 2014 Fifa World Cup Final over 618k Tweets were sent in one single minute.
The most retweeted tweet ever was a selfie from the Oscars 2014 with over 3.3 Million retweets.
13. The top five markets for Twitter are US, Japan, Indonesia, UK and Brazil
Together these five countries produce 50% of all tweets.
Image Source: Statista
14. 58% of the top brands have more than 100k followers on Twitter
65,8% of US companies use Twitter for marketing purposes. 92% of brands tweet more than once a day.
Image Source Simply Measured
15. The most tweeted Emoji is “Tears of Joy”
By March 2016 it had appeared an incredible 14.5 billion times on Twitter.
16. 60% of people expect brands to answer a query in a tweet within an hour
And 76% are likely to recommend a brand if they experience friendly service on Twitter.
17. Tweets with images get more reactions
When you tweet, are you looking for a retweet? Images may just be what your tweets are lacking.
Images can increase click-throughs by 18%, result in 89% more likes, and get you 150% more retweets.
18. 63% of Twitter users find Twitter a relevant source for news
59% percent of these Twitter users have used Twitter to keep up with news from an even while the event was still going on.
19. in the first 4 months after introducing Twitter polls, 1.7 billion votes were cast
Twitter introduced their “polls” feature in October 2015. By January 2016 a 1.7 billion votes were cast.
20. 82% of Twitter users watch Video on Twitter
90% of video views on Twitter happen on a mobile device.
Image Source: Here
21. Twitter increase the character limit to 280
Originally a tweet never contained more than 140 characters. A trial period with a limited number of people showed that most people still used less or just a little bit above the 140 character limit. Thus the short-messenger character of Twitter would stay alive.
In November 2017 Twitter finally announced that they would increase the character limit to 280.
22. 10% of the users create 80 of the tweets
This is based on US numbers.
Source: Pew Research Center
23. 44% of accounts are abandoned before ever tweeting
These accounts are set up and then never used.
Source: Slash Gear
24. 43% of accounts have sent their last tweet over a year ago
Not very active these users…
Source: Slash Gear
25. 391 Mio Twitter accounts have no followers
Source: Slash Gear
26. 8.5% of Twitter accounts are automated
This number has to be taken with care. Twitter says, this number includes Twitter accounts that access Twitter through apps like Tweetdeck – which is a Twitter-owned app. Still, these automated accounts add up to 23 Mio of the active Twitter accounts.
27. Twitter could fill books
The tweets of just one day would add up to a book of 10 million pages – in just one day. And that is an old number from 2011 – Today there are even more tweets.
To give you a comparison, these book pages are an equivalent of 8163 copies of Leo Tolstois “War and Peace” – a normal person would need 31 years to read this much.
28. 76% of users are likely to recommend a brand…
… if they experienced om friendly customer service on Twitter.
29. Twitter’s ad revenues grow by 37% year-by-year
Most of the advertising revenues are made on mobile (88%.)
Source: Twitter Shareholder Letter
30. Videos on Twitter are highly likely to get retweets
In fact, tweets with videos are 6 times more likely to receive a retweet than tweets with images.
More Twitter Facts?
Some of these Twitter facts and statistics may surprise you; some may be common knowledge, and some may simply be fun to know. Some of the above numbers are merely interesting and some should have an impact on your social media strategy: Use them to optimize your Twitter activity.
These statistics mainly tell one thing: Twitter is still relevant, it is also relevant for marketing. Twitter is also not going to disappear soon.
If you are looking for some more social media statistics, you may want to check this post on Pinterest statistics or this one on Instagram statistics.
Can you add some interesting Twitter facts that I missed and should include in my list? Let me know in the comments!
Join our free Email Course to learn how to grow an audience and traffic from Twitter:
All the basics in 4 Days, 4 Emails!