Twitter is one of the “older” social networks. Still, I often have the impression, that especially with young entrepreneurs and small businesses, Twitter is also one of the most undervalued networks. Somehow it seems that the benefits of being active on Twitter are not overly obvious. And regardless of the ease of use, how to best use Twitter, build relationships and grow an audience on Twitter still seems to be a secret to many small business marketers.
The following facts and Twitter statistics should give you an impression that even while Twitter may not be the shiniest or most distinguished social network, it has a relevant place in the social media marketing sphere – and not being active on Twitter still means missing out for most businesses.
1. Twitter was created in 2006
The first tweet was sent by Jack Dorsey on March 21, 2006
2. Hashtags were introduced in 2007
Chris Messina suggested the use of ‚#’ in 2007
Today, tweets with hashtags clearly get more engagement than tweets without hashtags. One or two hashtags are optimum, while more than two hashtags can result in a drop in engagement.
Image Source: Buffer Blog
The most tweeted hashtag up until today is #FF (Follow Friday).
3. Twitter has 313 Million monthly active users In Q2 2016 3 Million new users registered with Twitter, bringing the total of monthly active users to 313 Million.
Source: Venture Beat
3. Twitter has more than 336 Million monthly active users (1. Quarter 2018)
In Q1 2018 6 Million new users registered with Twitter, bringing the total of monthly active users to 336 Million.
4. 500 Million visit Twitter monthly but do not log in
You do not have to log into Twitter to see the shared content and tweets. And a lot of people do not log in, in fact on average 500 Million people us Twitter but do not log in.
Source: Twitter Blog
5. The average Twitter account has
208 707 followers
… and is a woman with an iPhone…
Image Source: Yourescapefrom9to5
As of June 2016 the average Twitter user has 707 followers.
The Twitter account with the most followers is Katy Perry with over 93 Million followers, followed by Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, and Barack Obama.
Image Source: Twitter Counter
6. In Q2 2016 Twitter made 602$ in revenues
Revenues increased from 595$ in the first quarter of 2016 to 602$ in the second quarter of 2016.
Source: Venture Beat
7. 29,2% of US social media users are Twitter users
That makes for 66 million Twitter users in the US.
A majority of Twitter users access Twitter via a mobile device!
9. Twitter has 3860 employees (worldwide)
40% of these employees are working in a technical role.
10. Twitter supports over 40 languages
Twitter has over 35 offices worldwide.
11. 83% of world’s leaders are on Twitter
That is 139 world leaders from 167 countries had an account on Twitter that they either set up themselves or a government official did it for them.
12. 500 Mio tweets are sent every day.
That is an insane 6000 tweets every second.
During the 2014 Fifa World Cup Final over 618k Tweets were sent in one single minute.
The most retweeted tweet ever was a selfie from the Oscars 2014 with over 3.3 Million retweets.
13. The top five markets for Twitter are US, Japan, Indonesia, UK and Brazil
Together these five countries produce 50% of all tweets.
Image Source: Statista
65,8% of US companies use Twitter for marketing purposes. 92% of brands tweet more than once a day.
Image Source Simply Measured
15. The most tweeted Emoji is “Tears of Joy”
By March 2016 it had appeared an incredible 14.5 billion times on Twitter.
16. 60% of people expect brands to answer a query in a tweet within an hour
And 76% are likely to recommend a brand if they experience friendly service on Twitter.
17. Tweets with images get more reactions
Images can increase click-throughs by 18%, result in 89% more likes, and get you 150% more retweets.
18. 63% of Twitter users find Twitter a relevant source for news
59% percent of these Twitter users have used Twitter to keep up with news from an even while the event was still going on.
19. in the first 4 months after introducing Twitter polls, 1.7 billion votes were cast
Twitter introduced their “polls” feature in October 2015. By January 2016 a 1.7 billion votes were cast.
20. 82% of Twitter users watch Video on Twitter
90% of video views on Twitter happen on a mobile device.
Image Source: Here
Some of these facts and Twitter statistics may surprise you; some may be common knowledge, and some may simply be fun to know. They mainly tell one thing: Twitter is still relevant, it is also relevant for marketing. Twitter is also not going to disappear soon.
Twitter marketing can give you awesome traffic. But you have to know what processes to set up and how to fill your Twitter feed with content, activity, and engagement.
We have used Twitter to grow our first business to over 500k page views per month. We grew this blog to 50k visitors per month in just half a year. And we give you the same process that we used with step-by-step instructions and action plans you can follow to use your content to grow your Twitter audience and get awesome traffic – no advertising involved.
Get started today and see first results within days, considerable traffic in 4 weeks. It is all there in our ebook “Grow Your Twitter Account Like A Pro.” Check it out – there is an offer for you!