Twitter seems so simple in features and straight forward in usage. Starting social media marketing with Twitter is simple: just type in up to 140 characters, and there you go. Still, Twitter is the one social network where many businesses, bloggers, and marketers struggle to get results.
I hear a lot of comments like these about Twitter:
- “Twitter does not work for me.“
- “I never figured out Twitter.“
- “I gave up on Twitter, results were not what I was hoping for.“
And that is so sad. Because Twitter can easily be the most effective marketing channel when you are starting out. On Twitter, you can grow a targeted audience for almost any niche and promote your content – without spending a dime on advertising.
Many marketing success stories are based on mastering Twitter. And often it is some small tweaks that make all the difference between success and failure with your Twitter marketing strategy.
Here are 5 Twitter marketing case studies to give you an impression of what can be done and how powerful Twitter can be. I tried to choose case studies that are very diverse to show you that Twitter marketing success is not limited to one strategy and that many tactics can lead you to Twitter marketing success.
1. Mastering Twitter for Traffic, Signups, and exponential growth: Exploreb2b
Some of you may already know that this is a story about me and Jonathan and how we became marketing pros. A couple of years ago we founded a publishing platform called exploreB2B. We badly needed growth in the form of traffic and users for the platform – and we had basically no marketing budget to speak of.
While we did try some advertising on LinkedIn, Facebook and Google, the key to exponential growth was mastering Twitter. And we virtually started with nothing: no followers, no brand, no idea how to get it right.
Here are the steps that took us to success:
- Understanding the importance of content: We created our own content marketing strategy that included promoting our publishing platform mainly by sharing links to contents we created and published on exploreB2B plus tweeting the best content our users published on exploreB2B
- Starting and joining conversations, engaging with influencers: We found some great content creators that were willing to publish their content on exploreB2B via Twitter. We simply asked them to with a simple tweet.
- Forcing growth with the follow-unfollow routine. When you are small on Twitter you have to get yourself on the radar of people: retweeting, liking and following is one way of getting on the radar of the right people
- Using direct messages to invite people to publish on exploreB2B: the best-converting channel I have ever seen – if you have the right message your conversion rate can skyrocket
- Scaling Twitter growth by starting several Twitter accounts. Each account focused on one topic or niche. We used the various Twitter channels to promote content from the platform to a targeted audience.
This simple Twitter strategy helped us grow exploreB2B to over 500k pageviews/month, over 80k registered users for exploreB2B and over 50k published articles
Image source: exploreB2B Analytics
2. Driving social traffic to a blog: Jeff Bullas
The one blogger that made us realize the power of Twitter was already famous when we started out: Jeff Bullas. It was an article on his own blog that made us realize what we were missing with our Twitter activity and how we could make Twitter work for us. In this article, Jeff Bullas explained how he grew his Twitter followers to over 100k. This basically taught us how to use Twitter to get traffic to content.
Twitter is and has been one of the best traffic generation channels for many successful bloggers – Jeff Bullas is only one of many.
The strategy is simple:
- Share valuable information on your Twitter account by sharing links to your blog posts
- Grow a following (he did that in a similar way as we used for exploreB2B)
- Optimize your activity as you go: automate some recurring tasks, create better headlines, use images, use @mentions
And what is the result? Here are the top three social networks that drove traffic to Jeff’s blog at the time he wrote the above post:
Image Source: Jeff Bullas
Twitter is killing it! And it could work the same magic for your own blog or business!
(And looking at the Twitter accounts of some other famous bloggers you may just notice that Jeff Bullas is not the only one using Twitter as a traffic generation machine)
3. Getting all the marketing power of Super Bowl for free: Oreo
Have you heard or read what one minute of advertising during super bowl would cost you? In 2013, 30 sec. advertising came at upwards of 3.8 Mio $. Imagine how you could reap some of that power without paying a dime!
That is what Oreo accomplished simply by being alert and leveraging an opportunity they could not foresee but their marketing team was prepared to jump on:
The lights went out.
There was a power outage during Super Bowl. For 30 minutes the power went out in New Orleans Superdome. No one could play, everybody waited. And what did people do? Use their free time to check their social media.
And Oreo was there with this awesome image and text: „You can still dunk in the dark.“
Power out? No problem. pic.twitter.com/dnQ7pOgC
— Oreo Cookie (@Oreo) February 4, 2013
They received instant fame for their tweet with over 10k retweets within an hour. This marketing success story of this one tweet was so successful it made the marketing news on hundreds of marketing blogs in the weeks to follow.
The branding effect for Oreo was beyond measuring. Even today almost 4 years after the marketing stunt people still talk about that one tweet at the right time!
4. Launching a new product with hashtags and polls: Xbox Launch
This Twitter case study includes some paid promotion. Although we are usually not so much about digital advertising on our blog I included this marketing campaign because I like the combination of using hashtags and Twitter polls.
Microsoft Xbox UK used Promoted Trends to help their television ad to more views via Twitter.
They branded the hashtag #HUNTtheTRUTH as a promoted trend and combined it with a couple of tweets with gifs and images that introduced the major characters of the game.
They then used Twitter polls to increase engagement with their audience and inspire curiosity among the crowd – in return, they got a buzz in the form of a ton of likes and retweets:
Image source: Twitter
Also, Xbox pushed the campaign with promoted videos.
5. Starting the conversation: Hilton Suggests
While the first two case studies were based on growing a Twitter following fast, Hilton suggests does not base its success on followers at all. Instead, they monitor conversations around a location where they have a hotel – and jump right in with travel tips for that area.
To see what they are about on their Twitter account you have to go to the „Tweets&Replies“ section. Most of their marketing beef goes into answering questions and direct communication with Twitter users on the road – targeting an audience that is at this moment very open to their suggestions.
What they achieve is tremendous brand awareness and lead generation effect plus building a connection to travelers that they can leverage later on. When you are looking for a nice hotel in a new town, would you not turn to the people who helped you out on your last trip?
You can do something similar if you use Twitter’s advanced search to monitor relevant tweets from your niche.
I love these Twitter marketing case studies for using such diverse marketing techniques. If you are looking for inspiration, I hope at least one of these case studies will inspire you to get more out of your Twitter activities.
Do you have other awesome Twitter marketing case studies? I would love to hear about them – please let us know in the comments.
Twitter marketing can give you awesome traffic. But you have to know what processes to set up and how to fill your Twitter feed with content, activity, and engagement.
We have used Twitter to grow our first business to over 500k page views per month. We grew this blog to 50k visitors per month in just half a year. And we give you the same process that we used with step-by-step instructions and action plans you can follow to use your content to grow your Twitter audience and get awesome traffic – no advertising involved.
Get started today and see first results within days, considerable traffic in 4 weeks. It is all there in our ebook “Grow Your Twitter Account Like A Pro.” Check it out – there is an offer for you!